22 mar 2009

My favourite quotes and scene in "Lawrence of Arabia"

Prince Feisal: Colonel Brighton means to put my men under European officers, does he not?
T.E. Lawrence: In effect, my lord, yes.
Prince Feisal: And I must do it... ...because the Turks have European guns. But I fear to do it... ...upon my soul I do. The English have a great hunger for desolate places. I fear they hunger for Arabia.
T.E. Lawrence: Then you must deny it to them.
Prince Feisal: You are an Englishman.Are you not loyal to England?
T.E. Lawrence: To England and to other things.
Prince Feisal: To England and Arabia both? And is that possible? I think you are another of these desert-Ioving English.

Doughty, Stanhope...
...Gordon of Khartoum.

No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert. And no man needs nothing. Or is it that you think we are something you can play with... ...because we are a little people, a silly people... ...greedy, barbarous and cruel?
Or do you know, lieutenant, in the Arab city of Cordoba... ...were two miles of lightingin the streets... ...when London was a village.
T.E. Lawrence: Yes, you were great.


Prince Feisal: Nine centuries ago.
T.E. Lawrence: Time to be great again, my lord.
Prince Feisal: Which is why my father made this warupon the Turks. My father, Mr. Lawrence, not the English. But my father is old...
...and I...
...I long for the vanished gardens of Cordoba.
However, before the gardens must come the fighting.
To be great again, it seems that we need the English... ...or...
Prince Feisal: What no man can provide, Mr. Lawrence.
We need a miracle.

No hay comentarios.: