1 mar 2007

Babel

I am really sorry to say that I didn´t like Babel (2006) from Alejandro González. Did get the story, did embrace the caracters (Brad Pitt will never stop to being himself) and simpatize with the poor disadvantage.

I can´t understand why it make so big noise, for me it didn´t have anything "cultural" or "bablelic" so to say. I think that the story was made just to emphizise the posibility to doing a movie in different countries and in different languages. Sorry to my dear friend Steph, but I don´t care if Alejandro is Mexican, or if the music was made by an Argentinian or if Gael Garcia shows up being a stereotipe of the poor drunk latino trublemaker.

And what about the Moroccans? woop, so sorry people, you provoqued an accident, sorry, it seems that not even between you can get understood, cause the police will shoot fast and will no make questions, also, the poor Adriana Barraza, the Mexican nana, she was deported, well, shit happens, but dont worry all you Moroccans, Mexicans; in San Diego, a gorgeous woman will kiss good night their children, home and dry, and well, those Japs would not suffer a lot, they have money isn´t it???

Big No for Babel

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Dear Chris Warfield, to begin I'll like to congratulate you on you're blog, I must admit it's a very good idea,many interesting subjects and shows a lot of initiative, something hard to find nowadays in youth, and speaks high of yourself.

On regards to your comment about Babel, I must dissent. When I left the movie theather my girl asked me: "Why is it called Babel?". An to tell you the truth, in that precise moment I couln't figure out why. However, after giving it a thought I realized that the main theme was not culture, or the Babel Tower itself, nor terrorism, nor inmigration or anything of that sort. What really lies beneath the movie is the "lack of communication" and that, my friend, is preciceley what happened at Babel (the tower), and that is why the movie is named that way. At least in my opinion.

If you look real closely and stay put during the movie you realize that misscomunication, does not happen amogst people of different cultures but within people of the same culture. See, for example, Brad's caracter doesn't seem to have a missunderstanding with the guide that helps him so much, or the people in the village, not even the medic (who in fact was a veterinarian) who attends his wife. However, he does have communication problems with his embassy and his fellow countrymen...who at last decide lo leave him abandoned in the middle of nowhere with his injured wife. And so, the same happens with the rest of the caracters. Misscomunication happens amongst people that speak the same language.

Now, speaking of Brad, I know girls say he's really hot, but, I do think he's a hell of an actor. Did you mean otherwise when you said "he'll never stop to being himself"? If you do, I recomend you see Twelve Monkeys, with outstanding performances by him and Bruce Willis.

So, again, I congratulate you on your blog. And I'll keep on writting as politely as possible in things in wich we might have diffent points of view and, of course, in those in wich we might agree.

Cristián Guerra Campo dijo...

Thanks Gerry, your interpretation seems logic, I agrree with it, in that point of view, is a really interesting movie...gracias!